Saina Nehwal wins Denmark OpenIndian badminton player and Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal has won the Denmark Open Super Series Premier trophy.Nehwal beat German’s Juliane Schenk in the finals .Nehwal is ranked number four in world badminton. This is her fourth title win of the year.Wozniacki wins Kremlin CupMOSCOW Caroline Wozniacki won her 20th career title Sunday by beating Samantha Stosur .Veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra diedLegendary film director, screenwriter and film producer Yash Chopra is dead. He was 80 years old.Chopra, known for landmark Bollywood films such as ’Trishul’, ‘Deewar’, ‘Silsila’, ‘Chandni’ and ‘Dil to Pagal Hai’, during his career spanning over five decades, had said on his birthday last month that his upcoming film ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ would he his last movie as a director.Yash Chopra was Born in Lahore on September 27, 1932, Chopra began his career as an assistant director to I.S. Johar and his elder brother, B.R. Chopra.Mr Chopra is survived by his wife Pamela and two sons Aditya and Uday.British Writer Hilary Mantel won BookerThe Man Booker Prize for Fiction is a literary prize awarded each year for the best original full-length novel, written in the English language, by a citizen of the Commonwealth of Nations, Ireland, or Zimbabwe. The winner of the Man Booker Prize is generally assured of international renown and success.
- Former Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister of India, Babu Jagjivan Ram was awarded with the Friends of Liberation War Honour by the Government of Bangladesh for his contribution in the 1971 War.
- V. Narayan Murthy was honoured with 2012 Hoover Medal at the Global Humanitarian Technology Conference in Seattle in Washington.
- The Supreme Court of India on 19 October 2012 rejected the plea of Deccan Chargers to put a stay order on the decision of Mumbai High Court that supported the decision of BCCI to terminate the franchise from being in Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 20 October 2012 launched Aadhaar Enabled Service Delivery in Dudu district of Rajasthan to mark the 2nd anniversary of Aadhaar
- Chennai based SUN TV Network acquired the Indian Premier League (IPL) Hyderabad franchise.
- Reliance Industries Ltd’s (RIL) Jamnagar Refinery won the British Safety Council’s ‘Globe of Honor Award’ for excellence in Environmental management.
- S. Viswanathan was appointed as a managing director of State Bank of India.
- Pakistani Sufi legend Abida Parveen was honoured with a lifetime achievement award by Kaladharmi Begum Akhtar Academy of Ghazal in New Delhi.
- Vivek Rae took over as Secretary in Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
- National Rifles Association of India (NRAI) appointed Jaspal Rana as the chief coach for the Junior Pistol Shooters.
- Monisha Kalterborn Became the First Woman Team Principal in Formula one
- Floris Evers, Roderick Weusthof and Teun Floris de Nooijer, the three Dutch Hockey stars announced their retirement from International Hockey
- Dermot Reeve, the former all-rounder of England took the charge of Maharashtra RanjiTeam as its Coach for domestic season of 2012-13 .
The selection process for the winner of the prize commences with the formation of an advisory committee which includes an author, two publishers, a literary agent, a bookseller, a librarian, and a chairperson appointed by the Booker Prize Foundation.The winner of Booker Prize is usually announced at a ceremony in London’s Guildhall, usuallyBritish Writer Hilary Mantel won the prestigious literary prize, the Booker Prize for her novel Bring up the Bodies, the second in a historical trilogy set during the reign of King Henry VIII.Hilary Mantel had earlier won the Booker prize in 2009 for “Wolf Hall,” the first novel in the trilogy.Hilary Mantel is the third author to win the prize twice, alongside South-African-born J.M. Coetzee and Australian Peter Carey. With this she also became the first British author, and the first woman, to achieve a double Booker Prize.Huge Chavez Re-elected as president of VenezuelaHuge Chavez re-elected as President of Venezuela . It his third election victory in 14 years of Office. Huge Chavez had won with 54% of the vote defeating his challenger Henrique Capriles who managed to get only 45% of vote in presidential election held on 7 October 2012.Among the 19 million registered voters the turnout was a record of 80.4% voters.Satirist Jaspal Bhatti diesActor and satirist Jaspal Bhatti died in a road accident. He born in 1955 in Amritsar, Bhatti did his mechanical engineering from the reputed Panjab Engineering College (PEC) in Chandigarh. For some time he worked as a front page political cartoonist with a leading English daily published from Chandigarh.
Jaspal Bhatti’s shows “Ulta-Pulta” and “Flop Show” were great hits among people in the 1980s and 1990s. He also directed a film “Mahaul Theek Hai”, a satire on the police.He also played significant roles, essentially as a comic character, in several Hindi films. He was also a brand ambassador for Punjab’s electoral poll revision drive.Novak Djokovic won Shanghai MastersNovak Djokovic beated British Tennis Player Andy Murray seal a stunning victory in the Shanghai Rolex Masters final.in the Double’s Category, Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek won the Shanghai Rolex Double title by defeating Mahesh Bhupati and Rohan Bopanna.
Novak Djokovic has won five Grand Slam singles titles: the 2008, 2011, and 2012 Australian Open; the 2011 Wimbledon Championships; and the 2011 US Open. By winning three Majors in 2011, D jokovic became the sixth male player in the open era to win three Majors in a calendar year.Edinburgh Napier University honoured Sharmila TagoreVeteran actress Sharmila Tagore was Awarded with an Honorary Doctorate of Arts for her outstanding contribution to Indian cinema by the Edinburgh Napier University. The Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University Dame Joan Stringer called her as an excellent ambassador for the Indian Culture.